Jane Austen Movie Marathon

I hope everyone enjoyed Christmas. Having had to drive 350 miles through the snow to visit family and dreading the same for the return trip today (I didn’t order this weather!) I’m looking forward to celebrating New Year’s at home.

It’s been a long standing tradition for us to make a special dinner, trying at least one new recipe. This year the new recipes are Chicken Kiev (accompanied by potato puffs and green beans almondine) and chocolate peanut butter pie for dessert. Then we’ll settle in to watch movies. This year it’ll be the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr.

mrdarcyelizabethMy daughters have delighted me by agreeing to a Jane Austen movie marathon on New Year’s Day. So far we’ve agreed on the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle Pride & Prejudice. We’re still discussing which other films we can fit in. I’m thinking the recent Northanger Abbey with Felicity Jones and JJ Feild (whose name is so much fun to write, breaking that “i before e” rule). Maybe Sense & Sensibility, but which one? Maybe the girls would enjoy seeing Professor Snape as a romantic hero.

We’re still thinking about food. Should we go period or would that make things too complicated? The point of this day is to relax. I’m away from my period recipe books so will have to check later today if there’s something easy I can make.

Any suggestions about films and food for our Jane Austen movie marathon? How are you all planning to celebrate the New Year?

Elena
www.elenagreene.com

About Elena Greene

Elena Greene grew up reading her mother’s Georgette Heyer novels, but it wasn’t until she went on an international assignment to the United Kingdom that she was inspired to start writing her own. Her first Regency romance was published in 2000 and was followed by five more Regencies and a novella. Her books have won the Desert Rose Golden Quill and Colorado Romance Writers' Award of Excellence. Her Super Regency, LADY DEARING’S MASQUERADE, won RT Book Club’s award for Best Regency Romance of 2005. Elena lives in upstate New York with her stroke survivor husband and two daughters.
This entry was posted in Frivolity, Jane Austen and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Jane Austen Movie Marathon

1. Myretta says:

I recommend Clueless, which is still my favorite Emma adaptation. You also can’t miss with the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds Persuasion.

As far as period food… too much work. You might want to make scones (which are easy) but I’d stay away from White Soup. :-)

Have a great Jane Austen Holiday.

• Elena Greene says:

Clueless is a great suggestion, but I’ll have to save it for another marathon because I don’t have my own copy.

I like the idea of scones. Having read a recipe for white soup, I really wasn’t sure the result would be worth all the effort. Have you tried making it?

2. HJ says:

Do include Persuasion in your marathon! Both the versions I know are excellent and have different qualities (I like Rupert Penry-Jones but slightly prefer the version with Amanda Root and Ciarán Hinds).

3. Sounds lovely! How about some gingerbread? I am slowly working my way through a pan thereof, triple ginger variety. Yum. My lovely daughter’s young man went on a baking binge for us.

4. I vote we all go to Janet’s house for some scrumptious gingerbread! I want a big hunk of gingerbread with some fresh creme on top! Yum!

I am actually off work on New Year’s Day this year which NEVER happens. And a Jane Austen Marathon sounds lovely!

I might also watch the entire first season of Ripper Street again. Not Regency, but definitely a great Victorian period series.

5. Austen movies and chocolate peanut butter pie too??? I wanna go to your house, Elena! :)

6. Teg says:

The movies sound lovely – I would vote for the Amanda Root version of Persuasion too. (Sally Hawkins’s mouth gymnastics in the newer version just really put me off, LOL)

If you want easy comfort food, you can always make up some macaroni and cheese. It was enjoyed during the Regency (though perhaps not as a main course) –

Enjoy your marathon movie day and Happy New Year!

7. diane says:

I want to hang out with you, too. But only if you include Persuasion in the marathon.

• Elena Greene says:

It is one of my favorites. If it doesn’t get in this time I’ll include it next time–hoping my daughters enjoy this enough that there will be a next time!

Comments are closed.