197th Anniversary of the Regency!

Happy birthday to the Regency! Just a day late as the Regency Act that gave its name to “our” period was passed on February 5, 1811.

I suppose no one at the time knew that the term “Regency” would come to represent not only a period in British history but would also give rise to a whole subgenre of romance. Or that it would become so synonymous with elegance and luxury. I wonder how many people realize how the term first came about as they patronize hotels, dry cleaners, florists, etc…, with the name? Probably not many. Doesn’t anyone understand how difficult this makes it for me to google for useful information on the Regency???

Anyhow, I wasn’t in much of a celebratory mood yesterday. The cold I’ve been fighting degenerated into some sort of wretched flu-like thing. I’m better now but I spent most of yesterday in bed. I didn’t even watch the latest film I got from Netflix (SHARPE’S WATERLOO) as I wasn’t feeling up to the carnage. Instead I immersed myself in comfort TV: What Not To Wear, How Do I Look? and an old Star Trek episode.

The only Regency thing I did was the Jane Austen Movie Club–but it is such fun (thanks again to Cara for hostessing) that it may be celebration enough.

Anyway, happy belated birthday to the Regency and thank you all for sharing your obsession with us!

Elena
www.elenagreene.com

About Elena Greene

Elena Greene grew up reading anything she could lay her hands on, including her mother's Georgette Heyer novels. She also enjoyed writing but decided to pursue a more practical career in software engineering. Fate intervened when she was sent on a three year international assignment to England, where she was inspired to start writing romances set in the Regency. Her books have won the National Readers' Choice Award, the Desert Rose Golden Quill and the Colorado Romance Writers' Award of Excellence. Her Super Regency, LADY DEARING'S MASQUERADE, won RT Book Club's award for Best Regency Romance of 2005 and made the Kindle Top 100 list in 2011. When not writing, Elena enjoys swimming, cooking, meditation, playing the piano, volunteer work and craft projects. She lives in upstate New York with her two daughters and more yarn, wire and beads than she would like to admit.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to 197th Anniversary of the Regency!

1. Happy Birthday to the Regency!!

Elena, I adored that top picture. Where did you find it? Very cute!

2. Elena Greene says:

Glad you enjoyed the pic, Keira! I just googled Cruikshank, George and Regency–and didn’t get too many hotel hits!

3. Cara King says:

Yes, that’s a great cartoon!

I hope it was one of the good Star Trek episodes, Elena! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Elena Greene says:

It was Where No Man Has Gone Before (the one in which people with ESP develop godlike powers). Not bad but I was really more in the mood for tribbles. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. What a great anniversary to know, Elena! Sadly, yesterday I did nothing Regency-ish, just watched reruns of “Gossip Girl”. ๐Ÿ™‚ But maybe that says something about how cliqueish backbiting doesn’t change in 200 years. Or something like that.

6. Deb Marlowe says:

Very cool trivia! I’m going to have to mark that one on the calendar and plan something tres Regency-ish for next year.

Hope you are feeling better, Elena..

7. Diane Gaston says:

Ack. I’ve had the copy edits from h*((
    I’ve been working non-stop all week…so have been a little quieter than usual.

8. doglady says:

Ditto on the marking the calendar and doing something Regency – ish, whatever that may be. If things at work don’t calm down I may smite one of my nasty customers with my reticule (after I fill it with rocks!)

Loved the cartoon!! I don’t think they had any idea what that one rather political act would wrought!

9. Todd says:

That joke about turning up dry cleaners and such when you Google “Regency” is so true! But it’s not just that…I remember a few years ago, I was trying to find something on some aspect of the Regency (I forget what), and I turned up this long list of sites–all on the French Regency. (About a hundred years too early!)

I hope you feel better soon!

Todd-qui-sais-que-c’est-tres-vrai

10. Georgie Lee says:

I missed the celebration. I will have to celebrate tonight with a Regency movie or novel.

Comments are closed.